The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams


Go Back   The Fuselage > Speculation > Lost General Theories > Past Theories
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Past Theories Past theories based on things that HAVE happened on the actual eps of the show. No spoiler info is to be posted here.


 
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2008, 01:00 AM   #1
Pink Human
Premium Economy
Zoloft and Prozac--Thanks to Sawyers Mojito
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Stats
Posts: 1,224
Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

I did a quick search and only came up with two threads that have any MBTI information in them. One was the whole I think Locke is a quintessential personification of an "INFJ" in the Locke forum and the other in the Fox Den. If you've never seen/heard of the MBTI, do a quick internet search--the basics are on hundreds of sites. There are even tests you can take to try to figure your own type out and agree or disagree with the results.

But since I know a little something about the MBTI beyond basic internet searches, to my eyes it seems that many of the characters are playing "true to type." Has anyone done a complete MBTI profile of all of the LOST characters yet? It might make it less frustrating to theorize about the upcoming actions of various characters since an "N" acts a certain way that is very different than how a "S" acts. And an "F" makes decisions differently than a "T" does. If the writers are using standard character profiles for their show (most characters are based on profiles of recognizable types of humans rather than creating a complete jumble of unconnected traits) and since MBTI is so widely available, it might be a way to better understand and then theorize about what each character arc will eventually be.

The MBTI has sixteen types:
ISTJ ISTP INTP INTJ
ISFJ ISFP INFP INFJ
ESFJ ESFP ENFP ENFJ
ESTJ ESTP ENTP ENFJ

I agree that Locke is most likely an INFJ. He really does fit the profile. Locke makes intuitive leaps because he's an "N" and, therefore, his actions, frequently "F" based, are carried out because of where those leaps take him. It's his "N" telling his "F" what to do. It's why he constantly says that he's doing everything he does for the good of everyone. In light of what an INFJ is, think of the sub and his making it go boom. Think of his sweat lodge vision quest. Think of his hunting skills. Think of his throwing a knife into Naomi's back. The list is long. All of these things are exactly what an INFJ character would do based on the intuative leaps Locke has made (or been helped to make).

My guess is that Claire is an "F" as her actions are very "F" oriented. Hurley? He's probably an "F" as well. Ditto for Charlie. Bernard can probably be added to the "F" list. Jack, well, he's got to be the most "TJ" character I've seen in a long time, "STJ" at that. I'd peg Sawyer as an "STP" if I were putting money down on a bet. Charlie is also likely a "P" rather than a "J" and Hurley could be also.


So, is there a list somewhere that I couldn't find?
Pink Human is offline  
Old 04-24-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
wesb
Premium Economy

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: September 27, 2006
Stats
Posts: 1,253
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Human View Post
I did a quick search and only came up with two threads that have any MBTI information in them. One was the whole I think Locke is a quintessential personification of an "INFJ" in the Locke forum and the other in the Fox Den. If you've never seen/heard of the MBTI, do a quick internet search--the basics are on hundreds of sites. There are even tests you can take to try to figure your own type out and agree or disagree with the results.

But since I know a little something about the MBTI beyond basic internet searches, to my eyes it seems that many of the characters are playing "true to type." Has anyone done a complete MBTI profile of all of the LOST characters yet? It might make it less frustrating to theorize about the upcoming actions of various characters since an "N" acts a certain way that is very different than how a "S" acts. And an "F" makes decisions differently than a "T" does. If the writers are using standard character profiles for their show (most characters are based on profiles of recognizable types of humans rather than creating a complete jumble of unconnected traits) and since MBTI is so widely available, it might be a way to better understand and then theorize about what each character arc will eventually be.

The MBTI has sixteen types:
ISTJ ISTP INTP INTJ
ISFJ ISFP INFP INFJ
ESFJ ESFP ENFP ENFJ
ESTJ ESTP ENTP ENFJ

I agree that Locke is most likely an INFJ. He really does fit the profile. Locke makes intuitive leaps because he's an "N" and, therefore, his actions, frequently "F" based, are carried out because of where those leaps take him. It's his "N" telling his "F" what to do. It's why he constantly says that he's doing everything he does for the good of everyone. In light of what an INFJ is, think of the sub and his making it go boom. Think of his sweat lodge vision quest. Think of his hunting skills. Think of his throwing a knife into Naomi's back. The list is long. All of these things are exactly what an INFJ character would do based on the intuative leaps Locke has made (or been helped to make).

My guess is that Claire is an "F" as her actions are very "F" oriented. Hurley? He's probably an "F" as well. Ditto for Charlie. Bernard can probably be added to the "F" list. Jack, well, he's got to be the most "TJ" character I've seen in a long time, "STJ" at that. I'd peg Sawyer as an "STP" if I were putting money down on a bet. Charlie is also likely a "P" rather than a "J" and Hurley could be also.


So, is there a list somewhere that I couldn't find?
We may just have to create one. What a fascinating idea! As an ENFP, I find the whole idea of such a project delightful. BTW, your description of Locke seems right on, and your other ideas seem very reasonable too...
wesb is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #3
jaybird
Baggage
Just glad to be here...
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: March 12, 2006
Location: Central Ohio USA
Stats
Posts: 78
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

I'm an INFP!
This sounds so intriguing.

I'm thinking that Juliet is a T and so is Ben.

I remember reading about the I/E continuum and the "general in the tent"
When you meet an extrovert, you meet the 'general'-what you see is what you get.
When you meet an introvert you meet the second who scopes you out and reports to the general who then decides if he wants to "come out of the tent" and reveal himself.
jaybird is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 04:38 PM   #4
wesb
Premium Economy

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: September 27, 2006
Stats
Posts: 1,253
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

I'm wondering whether Jack is truly a J or not. I think he's a person who thinks it's "better" to be a J, and that's how he pushes himself to be. But a J will have things planned out, and then go ahead and execute that plan. Jack seems to think he has a plan, but ends up making it up as he goes along, like the typical P. It could, of course be that he plans carefully but does it so thoroughly poorly that he always has to do it over. Or he may just fail because he doesn't really plan because of his P-like attributes.

Here are a few (very rough) initial guesses of mine, currently active characters only so far...
  • Ben INTJ
  • Juliet ISTJ
  • Jack ISTP
  • Kate ENFP
  • Sawyer ISTJ
  • Hurley ESFP
  • Locke INFJ
  • Sayid ISFJ
  • Claire ESFP
Again, they're very rough, so far. I might wonder if Locke is actually a "closet" T, because he's more rules-oriented than people-oriented. It's agreed that he talks about doing what's good for everyone's best interest, but I'm not sure if this is a rationalization or not, to support doing what he really wants.

It's interesting that this list would put Hurley and Claire at the same type, as would be Juliet and Sawyer (??!!) -- I suppose that if we made Juliet a little crankier, or Sawyer a little "softer" they'd seem more alike... the MBTI doesn't consider those things... If Locke is in fact a "closet" T, then he is the same type as Ben, so that hypothesis might be a little off...

Anyway, this list probably has major flaws, but we need a starting point for people to pick at. So have at it...

Last edited by wesb; 04-25-2008 at 04:58 PM.
wesb is offline  
Old 04-25-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
Simplist
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: January 16, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

funny you think BEN is an intj WES,,

the unabomber is an INTJ, it's the most rare of brain types.. and Jack an ISTP, which most of the great athletes like Michael Jordan
Simplist is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Pink Human
Premium Economy
Zoloft and Prozac--Thanks to Sawyers Mojito
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Stats
Posts: 1,224
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

One way to help spot the characters' personalities is to find the most dominant factor. It's the one letter that drives all the others.

For EFJ and IFP characters (ESFJs, ENFJs, INFPs, and ISFPs), that factor is the F. Their values determine their actions. They tend to be are warm and friendly, compassionate, and resonsive. That F factor can make them "explosive" when their values are challenged. Rose may be an ESFJ. Charlie stikes me as an ISFP.

Characters whose dominant characteristic is S (ESTPs, ESFPs, ISFJs, ISTJs) tend to have sensory data as king. They are loyal and calm (can be quiet). They are often easygoing and diplomatic. Often they are dependable. Hurely seems to be an ESFP. Claire--an SFP rather than an SFJ. I think that's also true. The P-ness is harder to spot on her since crashing on the Island, but her flashbacks show it. She also doesn't get a lot of screen time to show anything other than her Mommy-factor, so the P aspect of her personality is more hidden. And Sayid is a classic F. I agree that he's an ISFJ, btw. He clearly uses his heart to make decisions, and he is a J--wow, that guy is a J. Bernard may be an ISFJ, too. jack may fall into this group (ISTJ) since he is Mr. Dependable, Mr. Practical, Mr. Calm until the fuse burns out. I think he has even money for being an ESTJ, however. Keep reading.

Those with T as the primary mover and shaker of their personality are strong-willed, independent, practical, leader types. They are the ETJs and the ITPs (ESTJs, ENTJs, ISTPs, and INTPs) Both Jack and Sawyer have T as their dominant characteristic, although I think Jack actually does fit the J profile more clearly than Sawyer. In fact, Sawyer reads more like a typical ISTP. Jack's sense of leadership is more J in nature. He is more serious, more formal, more traditional and sought out a job that gave him lots of control (he became a doctor), more able to make quick decision, likes rules and systems and structures, and key factor here--is DRIVEN to complete things. Those typically are J things. The fact that many surgeons are Ps should be taken into account, but the rest of Jack's personality is much more J driven. Sawyer is more of a P. Sawyer is more leisurely, more playful, much better at adapting (think Kate), finds rules restrictive (he is a con man after all) and is more fun oriented than Jack. But both are Ts, however. I also think Juliet is clearly a T, but I'd put her in the NT rather than the ST catagory since she has an N streak about her. NTP or NTJ may be correct. If she's a P, it doesn't look as "messy" as SFP does since her NT compensates. Or she could be an INTJ (which explains Ben's attaction to her) but her gender tempers some of her TJ ness. As for the T/F component, Ben's a T. Without a doubt. But I also think he's an NT rather than an ST.

The final group of dominant characteristics is the N group--they are the ones whose intuitive factor is greatest. The ENPs and the INJs fall into this bunch (ENTPs, ENFPs, INFJs, and INTJs). Ben reads like the classical INTJ. the N group people are analytical or gifted, are self-dsciplined (but may look scattered to outsiders) and connect the dots long before others do. These people make intuative leaps--hello, Locke--and act upon those insights. Juliet's off-Island life seems to indicate that she has some N to her character, but I still think that she is more of an INTP or ENTJ.

The I/E aspect of the MBTI is hard to tell since so many of the characters have to communicate via dialogue, and they have to function as part of a group. That makes any I character harder to spot. But Locke is an I. Ditto for Juliet. Sayid is also looking very I like. Sun strikes me as an I, too. Kate may be an INFP rather than an ENFP, but because she does so much interaction with Jack and Sawyer, it's harder to know for sure. Sawyer has lots of I-nes about him compared to Hurley, who has to be an E. I think Jack is a closet E, and ESTJ. But he could be an ISTJ. he does depend on sensory data, and for those with an I in their personality, the second characteristic is what is on display for public viewing. For ISTJs, S is the dominant personality trait, but the T is on display most of the time because of the Introverted nature. That's the "general in the tent" analogy, Jaybird.

The P/J quality is often mistake at a "time" issue. Jung's explanation of it (from which the Myers-Brigg Type Inventory aka MBTI came about) is much more in-depth. The "shadow" aspect of a personality is dealt with in his evaluation, and it is helpful in identifying true type.

So, this is what I think so far:

Jack ESTJ or ISTJ
Rose ESFJ
Sayid ISFJ
Bernard ISFJ
Claire ESFP
Hurley ESFP
Charlie ISFP
Sawyer ISTP
Kate INFP
Juliet ENTJ or INTP
Locke INFJ
Ben INTJ




Ok, I spent a couple of hours in the garden with the cats, and vhanged my mind. Here’s what I think now.

Using the MBTI function pairs of SJ, SP, NF, and NT, I put the following characters into these groups:

SJs
Jack, Sayid, Bernard, Jin, Rose, Charlotte ?, Ana Lucia

SPs
Hurley, Claire, Charlie, Sun, Sawyer, Shannon, Frank?

NFs
Locke, Kate, Frank?

NTs
Ben, Dan, Miles, Charlotte?

Collectively the SJs can be thought of as the Traditionalists—they are practical, realistic and detail oriented; SPs are the Experiencers—they are generally easygoing happy-go-lucky types who live in the moment; NFs are the Idealists—they are, well, can I just say that they are idealist?; and NTs are the Conceptualizers—they are the types whose primary quest is for knowledge.

Where to put Eko—his off-Island and on-Island personas are very different, so …. Anyone want to venture a guess? Also, Boone. He is hard to say since we saw so little of him. I think Harper is/was ?? an NT, and Mr. Friendly is/was an F. Charlotte is a TJ, but we haven’t seen enough of her yet to know the other aspects of her personality.

If I go with Jungian dominant functions (Se/Si, Fe/Fi, Te/Ti, and Ne/Ni) I’m thinking this:

Se (Extraverted Sensing) ESTP & ESFP: Sawyer, Claire, Hurley
Si (Introverted Sensing) ISFJ & ISTJ: Sayid, Bernard, possibly Jin, Jack, and Charlotte

Fe (Extraverted Feeling) ESFJ & ENFJ: Rose
Fi (Introverted Feeling) ISFP & INFP: Charlie, Kate

Te (Extraverted Thinking) ESTJ & ENTJ: Ana Lucia, Charlotte, Jack, Juliet
Ti (Introverted Thinking) ISTP & INTP: Sun, Shannon, possibly Sawyer, Dan

Ne (Extraverted Intuition) ENTP & ENFP: Miles, possibly Eko, possibly Frank
Ni (Introverted Intuition) INTJ & INFJ: Ben, Locke

The hard part is the I/E factor since all of the introverts will display their secondary (auxiliary) function. That means that most often Si types show the world either their F or their T, that Fi types show the world their S or N, that Ti types show the world their S or N, and Ni types show the world their T or F. It’s why I did the MBTI grouping as well since we may be able to narrow down things about characters based on using both the Myers-Brigg system and the Jungian system.

Last edited by Pink Human; 04-26-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Pink Human is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 09:58 PM   #7
Daphne
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: January 20, 2005
Location: Madrid, Spain
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

I wouldn't say I know a lot about MBTI cause the only thing I can conclude from the bits I've read about it -after learning I'm an INTP - is thatI believe Jack is ISTJ. Sensing is more what I expect from a surgeon, he's a T with an unbalanced F shadow, which explains why feelings are what may get the best of him (and also are the main aspect involved in his growth as a character)...

And that's all I can say for now must think about the rest...

Last edited by Daphne; 04-26-2008 at 10:00 PM.
Daphne is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Pink Human
Premium Economy
Zoloft and Prozac--Thanks to Sawyers Mojito
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Stats
Posts: 1,224
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
I wouldn't say I know a lot about MBTI cause the only thing I can conclude from the bits I've read about it -after learning I'm an INTP - is thatI believe Jack is ISTJ. Sensing is more what I expect from a surgeon, he's a T with an unbalanced F shadow, which explains why feelings are what may get the best of him (and also are the main aspect involved in his growth as a character)...

And that's all I can say for now must think about the rest...
I agree. Jack just strikes me as an SJ rather than and SP. Jack's feelings get the best of him, AND his outright hostility towards Locke's intuitive jumps set him off into a rage. I've dealth with both types, and His off-Island flashbacks don't really give us a clue as to how his level of energy when around others.

No one can miss the T about him, so it's just a question of whether or not it's Te or Ti since both would have introverted feeling--an ESTJ has it as the inferior and an ISTJ has it as the tertiary. Both also have extraverted intuition--an ESTJ has is as the tertiary and an ISTJ has it as the inferior.

Naomi l. Quenk's book, Beside Ourselves: Our Hidden Personality in Everyday Life, describes "outbursts of emotion," "fear of feeling," and "hypersensitivity to inner states" as ways to think about inferior introvered feeling. That sounds like Jack when Boone was dying. Inferior extraverted intuition has "loss of control over facts and details," "impulsiveness," and "catastrophyizing" which sounds less like Jack during the Boone incident. Island Jack's reaction to stress is why I'm leaning towards ESTJ, but I can see an ISTJ based on his flashforwards. I don't think we are going to be able to narrow it down beyond that.

BTW, I did start this thread with the comment that I knew a little bit more than just Internet knowledge, so don't think that you have to have an in-depth background in this stuff to contribute. If you know what type you are, you may notice certain things about certain characters that others might not notice, things that remind you of yourself. Or you may simply recognize something else about the way a character behaves and that will help fit everything together.
Pink Human is offline  
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 PM   #9
Daphne
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: January 20, 2005
Location: Madrid, Spain
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?



I was thinking about Sawyer. Being a con man may require a special ability to 'read' people and their context, their feelings, their motivations, their needs, etc. Sawyer said to Jack once: "You're not seeing the big picture, doc" -or something for that matter-, I think that phrase said a lot about the way he grasps information and puts it together on a bigger scheme. Jack needs concrete data, tangible evidence, facts, while Sawyer is able to get a sense of what's happening with a different kind of perception that's more...intuitive?...
Although I see him as "TP" too, couldn't Sawyer be "N" instead of "S"?

Quote:
Naomi l. Quenk's book, Beside Ourselves: Our Hidden Personality in Everyday Life, describes "outbursts of emotion," "fear of feeling," and "hypersensitivity to inner states" as ways to think about inferior introvered feeling. That sounds like Jack when Boone was dying. Inferior extraverted intuition has "loss of control over facts and details," "impulsiveness," and "catastrophyizing" which sounds less like Jack during the Boone incident. Island Jack's reaction to stress is why I'm leaning towards ESTJ, but I can see an ISTJ based on his flashforwards. I don't think we are going to be able to narrow it down beyond that.
When he found out his wife had an affair and 'lost it', thinking his father was her lover sounds to me more like the second description you gave.
Anyway, these types aren't supposed to be always 'fixed' in time, are they?

Last edited by Daphne; 04-26-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Daphne is offline  
Old 04-27-2008, 01:25 AM   #10
Pink Human
Premium Economy
Zoloft and Prozac--Thanks to Sawyers Mojito
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: February 28, 2008
Stats
Posts: 1,224
Re: Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne View Post


I was thinking about Sawyer. Being a con man may require a special ability to 'read' people and their context, their feelings, their motivations, their needs, etc. Sawyer said to Jack once: "You're not seeing the big picture, doc" -or something for that matter-, I think that phrase said a lot about the way he grasps information and puts it together on a bigger scheme. Jack needs concrete data, tangible evidence, facts, while Sawyer is able to get a sense of what's happening with a different kind of perception that's more...intuitive?...
Although I see him as "TP" too, couldn't Sawyer be "N" instead of "S"?

When he found out his wife had an affair and 'lost it', thinking his father was her lover sounds to me more like the second description you gave.

Anyway, these types aren't supposed to be always 'fixed' in time, are they?
People have all the aspects of the four factors; the amount of influence each factor has on the person's total personality is different. For example, all people use values to make decisions. But Fe/Fi types use values as theri PRIMARY means of making decisions in the world. Te/Ti types use values, too, but those values aren't their primary way of making decision. They apply those values to PERSONAL things like their family or their job. Also, everyone takes in sensory data, but Se/Si types use that data as their primary way of understanding the world.

The following quote is from David Keirsey's Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence, page 64. ESTPs "are uncanny about reading people's faces and observing their body language, hypersensitive to the tiniest nonverbal clues that give away the other's attitudes. ESTPS keep their eyes on their audience, ever on the lookout for signs of assent or dissent, and with nerves of steel they will use this information to achieve the ends they have in mind--which is to sell the customer in some way. Winning people over with a kind of brinkmanship might seem exhausting to other, but [ESTPs] are exhilared by working close to the edge. Indeed, a theme of seeking excitement through taking risks runs throughout their lives."

I think that description sounds very Sawyer-esque. He does not make the "leaps" that Ni types do (compare Sawyer to Locke or Ben). So if Sawyer is an N type, he has to be a Thinking Ne--ENTP. I just don't see him being an extraverted Dan type, and Dan is almost certainly an INTP--think of Albert Einstein.

As for Jack being an ISTJ, he very well could be. We just don't get to see him alone much to see how he behaves. His character's screen time is almost exclusively with one or more characters. But his bursts of emotion with the Sarah situation and his father still make me think ESTJ. I don't think it was just him being impulsive. Again, I could be wrong, but I'm still leaning E rather than I.
Pink Human is offline  
 

Bookmarks

The Fuselage > Speculation > Lost General Theories > Past Theories > Has anyone done an MBTI profile of all of the characters?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Flicks N Shows:  A posting board to discuss your favorite tv shows, movies, video games, sports, comics, books, music anime and more!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.


Help Support
The Fuselage
by Shopping with Amazon
Search Now:

Lost: The Complete Collection
On DVD and Blu-ray

Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season
On DVD and Blu-ray

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
The Fuselage

Page generated in 0.85679 seconds with 13 queries [Server Loads: 0.02 0.00 : 0.00]