The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 5 > Dead is Dead
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Dead is Dead Air Date: 04/08/2009 60 minutes EP: 512
Written by Elizabeth Sarnoff, Brian K. Vaughan
Directed by Stephen Williams

Old 04-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Fierro
It only ends once...
First Class
...and this is it.

Additional Info
Stats
So the Smoke Monster is really Apep?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep....

Quote:
With the possible exception of Aten only during the Amarna Period, no single Egyptian god was considered to be really all powerful. Many lived with the threat of destruction, and even one of the greatest of Egyptian gods faced such threats every single night. Apophis (Egyptian Apep) was the great adversary of the sun god, Re. and was the very embodiment of the powers of dissolution, darkness and non-being. Hence, he was a sort of void or "black hole" forcing those he swallowed into that non-existence which the Egyptians feared so greatly. Being completely outside of the natural world, he was believed to require no nourishment other than to "breathe" his own shouts. He was a huge serpent who was thought to have existed at the beginning of time in the waters of primeval chaos prior to creation and his power was so great that it was thought that he would continue to exist in an endlessly malevolent cycle of attack, defeat and resurgent attack. He is thus known by many epithets, ranging from evil lizard, opponent and enemy to world encircler and serpent of rebirth. During the Roman period, he was interpreted as "he who was spat out" and linked to the saliva of the goddess Neith.
So who is Anubis?

From the episode....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_n3eH1jI8AZ...yphs+image.jpg

Is what seems to be Anubis offering a ring to the Snake-like Smokie?

Now, is this guy really Anubis or a representation of another god or a regular Joe Doe?

Obviously he has a jackal head....

What other Egyptian gods had jackal-like heads?

Curiously, Seth, believed to be associated to Apep, had also a jackal head...

Set and Apep became kind of like the same thing all of a sudden.... Set was originally NOT an evil god and he was worshipped. But all of a sudden, the view they had of him changed drastically and he started to be identified with what USED to be his own ENEMY: APEP (aka Smokie)

Last edited by Fierro; 04-08-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-08-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Meano Franko
RIP: The United States'
Premium Economy
See you in another life, brother.

Additional Info
Stats
Re: So the Smoke Monster is really Apep?

...we have a winner!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
Another Other
"Claimed" by the MiB in
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

Already posted in the Hieroglyphics thread
Old 04-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Fierro
It only ends once...
First Class
...and this is it.

Additional Info
Stats

People speculated with Apep since last episode. It is not really new. The fact that we now know that egyptians saw it as a SNAKE is what made the difference...

Also another point for this theory... He was also known as SERPENT OF REBIRTH!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #5
addictedfan
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I'm sorry but I just don't get what you think in that carving looks like Apep. I see snakes and what I believe is Anubis but the drawing that is smokey does not look like any established hiero. or god.

Anubis
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 AM   #6
BrothaJefe316
Premium Economy
Sleep tight, Charles.

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedfan View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't get what you think in that carving looks like Apep. I see snakes and what I believe is Anubis but the drawing that is smokey does not look like any established hiero. or god.

Anubis
Yes, thank you.

One of the things I can't stand on this forum is people's compulsive need to make the leap from imagery to allegory in regards to religious symbols.

We see a hiero of Anubis next to what looks like a hiero of the Monster, and people immediately jump to the conclusion that therefore, the Monster *must* correspond to a different, specific Egyptian deity or mythological figure.

So ridiculous sometimes..

It was the exact same thing when we started hearing Jacob's name... People concluded that since Ben is significant, and Benjamin was one of the biblical Jacob's sons, that they *must* be related somehow.

John H. Locke, people!!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
Fierro
It only ends once...
First Class
...and this is it.

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:

Anubis
Maybe the huge snake like creature in front of the Jackal headed man?

Are you really gonna tell me that you don't find any similarities between the show's hiero and THIS????
Old 04-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
addictedfan
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro View Post
Maybe the huge snake like creature in front of the Jackal headed man?

Are you really gonna tell me that you don't find any similarities between the show's hiero and THIS????
Wait a sec, Fierro...I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you,just trying to ask what part you were referring too? Which hiero/symbol in the carving are you saying is Apep?

I see the serpents or snakes below and to the right of Anubis(?) is that what you are referring to as Apep?

Last edited by addictedfan; 04-09-2009 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Fierro
It only ends once...
First Class
...and this is it.

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Wait a sec, Fierro...I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you,just trying to ask what part you were referring too? Which hiero/symbol in the carving are you saying is Apep?

I see the serpents or snakes below and to the right of Anubis(?) is that what you are referring to as Apep?
OK. Anubis is on the right. On the left, there is this zig-zag snake-like creature staring at anubis.
If you see his head, you can see the horns. It is clearly a demon. Now, under that creature, you can even see the holed structure from where it came.

Now, Anubis is offering something to Smokie. I can't tell what it is, though... Any help?
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
addictedfan
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro View Post
OK. Anubis is on the right. On the left, there is this zig-zag snake-like creature staring at anubis.
If you see his head, you can see the horns. It is clearly a demon. Now, under that creature, you can even see the holed structure from where it came.

Now, Anubis is offering something to Smokie. I can't tell what it is, though... Any help?
Sorry but I still don't think Smokie looks like Apep but I do see the demon or devil face on Smokie......

I can't tell what Anubis is offering...on the Hiero thread I started I suggested maybe a soul or a heart. It is said Anubis weighed the heart against the truth as one entered the gates of the Underworld.
Could be a ring, like you said....its just to small for me to see. You're the screencap guru ...
Can you somehow enlarge it???

Ooooh one more thing, SmokieAlex spit at Ben before she left....and from your first post:
"During the Roman period, he was interpreted as "he who was spat out" and linked to the saliva of the goddess Neith."

Last edited by addictedfan; 04-09-2009 at 12:44 AM.