The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 6 > The Candidate
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

The Candidate Air Date: 04/27/2010 60 minutes EP: 614
Written by Elizabeth Sarnoff, Jim Galasso
Directed by Jack Bender

Old 05-04-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Karri
Captain

Additional Info
Staff
Stats
Gaming
Wii Friend Code:
1768 6518 7616 0200

Wii Game Code:
Brawl: 3265 5271 2154 Pokemon BR: 0430 6882 3752

DS Game Code:
Pokemon Diamond: 3308 1796 4550

Click Here
Didn't Love it.

Didn't like the ep? Tell us why.

This thread is for those that did NOT like the episode. If you liked the ep please visit the "Loved it!!!" thread. If you want to debate the episode (likes and dislikes), then please take your comments to the "Rate The Episode" thread or The "Discuss The Episode" thread. Any off topic posts will be deleted and possibly warned or given infraction points.

Thanks!!!

If you have questions or comments, please post them to the Questions for Admins and Mods board before PMing me. You might get a faster response and help keep my inbox from overflowing. Thanks!!!

Check out our sister site Flicks N Shows!!!
You can chat about your favorite movies, comics, books, video games, music, TV Shows and more!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
goldfinch
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Didn't Love it.

This whole season has been a lot of nothing. This season sucks! How many episodes have their been? Everything that has happened could have been done in 2 episodes. What a waste of 5 seasons for this.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Legion303
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Boring. Even my wife thought it sucked, and she's been a lot more forgiving of this season than I have.

After making Sun run around for the better part of two seasons with no lines other than "where's my husband?" (and then taking even those lines away), did the writers really expect me to care about the Sun/Jin death scene? Honestly? Even Charlie's death had more impact on me, and I hated his character.

-steve
Old 05-04-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Betsy
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Claire being abandoned again didn't exactly do much for me.....
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Baileysdad
The Mod Squad

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

Truly the most disturbing, violent show of it's kind ever broadcast.

Three main beloved characters killed in the most violent and torturous ways imagineable. Taking two people who have scoured heaven and earth to be together and then rejoice all of five minutes regulated to watching each other die in a slow, painful, horrific manner...knowing their child is now an orphan?? Then the slow motion soft light drifting of the bodies away? Sad.

This is crash TV at it's worst.

Name one show (not named "The Pacific") that has a body count like this show. Even the last season of the Sopranos didn't have this high of a casualty rate but at least it MADE SENSE!! This makes ZERO sense.

And ya, I get it. The flash sideways will be the redemption of them all and all will be well (my personal opinion not based on anything as I am spoiler free). But this was disgusting.

The only sliver of humanity on this show tonight was when Hugo broke down on the beach. That was the only believeable moment in 44 minutes of body shreading mayhem.

And...Wow...first five minutes...more gun fire, attempted murder, threatening with murder and Jack and Bernard are working in the same complex everyone else is living and working in...wow. What reach.

Wow, Kate is again used as murder bait to get James to behave. You would think at this point, he would just shoot her himself and tell Chuck "Your Move." And just in case you don't remember why Sawyer had to go into the cage..it was because that chubby fella "Gots the Gun!!" Instead of snappy, deep dialoge we now just jam a gun into people's faces.

And, Jack is reminded if he doesn't go on yet another search and rescue mission of the bumbling Oceanic 815 who seemingly can't walk from here to there without being captured by armed mauraders...he can be KILLED by smoke!

For the love of all things holy...Can we have some diversity with this season?? When did it take such a violent, dark, murderous tone?

Oh, and guys with guns? Bullets can't damage smoke...as it is not made of solid matter and is gaseous in nature allowing bullets to pass safely through. Nice writing.

I must say I think they made Mr. Cooper watch this final season on infinite loop from the way he looked.

And all this time...we need to take the submarine??? The Plane was useless to begin with. IT IS STUCK IN SAND FOR GOD"S SAKE!!!

And the logic of sending flesh and blood people to attack the sub when a pillar of man eating smoke ducks behind barrels is....what now?

Is there any reason to think FLOCK couldn't swirl through there and take out the bad men with more guns who opened fire on them?? Instead...he gets into a GUNFIGHT with them??? For real??

And nobody on the sub thought this odd..."Gee, he took all those other's out with smoke in ten seconds...but now he is engaging them in a prolonged gunfight away from the sub in human form...you don't think?? NAH! Let's go!! We tricked him!!

Oh, and no reason to tell the captain the reason to surface...JUST DO IT!! How about..."um, we have three minutes to live if you don't get us up Capt..there is a bomb on board."

Who amungst us did not know that timer would start again and in double time? Lazy lazy writing.

This show has taken such a disturbing, diabolical sheen that it in no way resembles the show we all loved from Season one.

Sad.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Council of Elders #14 ...
We're not old...just older! (and really funny)

Founding and confused member of Thebasement
MR.FUSELAGE 2007
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 AM   #6
beema
First Class
I'm a complex guy, sweetheart!

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baileysdad View Post
Three main beloved characters killed in the most violent and torturous ways imagineable. Taking two people who have scoured heaven and earth to be together and then rejoice all of five minutes regulated to watching each other die in a slow, painful, horrific manner...knowing their child is now an orphan?? Then the slow motion soft light drifting of the bodies away? Sad.
Yeah... I'm really just saying to myself all the time "what was the point?"
Why have Sun and Jin struggle to find eachother for YEARS only to die one episode after their reuinion?

Is there some rule that says all the characters have to be killed off before the series can end?? Or more likely: the writers are too lazy to think of meaningful things to write for this many characters anymore.

Quote:
The only sliver of humanity on this show tonight was when Hugo broke down on the beach. That was the only believeable moment in 44 minutes of body shreading mayhem.
Agreed. Everyone on that Island should be having mental breakdowns right about now. Most soldiers don't see that much combat and bloodshed.

Quote:
And the logic of sending flesh and blood people to attack the sub when a pillar of man eating smoke ducks behind barrels is....what now?

Is there any reason to think FLOCK couldn't swirl through there and take out the bad men with more guns who opened fire on them?? Instead...he gets into a GUNFIGHT with them??? For real??
yeah... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to when Flocke decides to kill people as Smokey or to just tackle issues in human form. I think the trend is, whenever Flocke is already on-screen, he uses his human form, because the show doesn't have the resources to show a transformation from man-to-smoke.

Quote:
Who amungst us did not know that timer would start again and in double time? Lazy lazy writing.
Right, cause that's how watches work.

This episode was no more of a travesty than the rest of the season has been but man... it just felt so stupid and pointless. I didn't get so involved with Lost because it reminded me of Live Free Or Die Hard, as it does now.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Tiny Time Machine
Mourning Shannon in
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I think people were so wrapped up in whether the answers to the mysteries would be disappointing, they forgot to worry about the simpler aspects of the writing.

THREE beloved main characters were killed off in the most contrived sloppy-action movie scenerio possible. The reason? I quote Darlton, in a post-episode non-spoiler interview on EW:

Quote:
The main narrative reason for him killing our main characters is to establish how much of a bad guy he is and to clearly identify him as the antagonist rolling into the end of the series.
Lost has always been at its worst when the plot moved the characters instead of the characters moving the plot. But unfortunately for us, they've decided to take this approach for nearly this entire last season. The characters are merely pawns on a chess board, but not just for Jacob and MiB, but for the writers too. It's mechanical.

I'm incredibly worried about the remaining episodes. Not because of the answers we might not get, but because of how sloppily the characters will be handled before they're inevitably blowed up real good.

I'm so deeply disappointed by this episode. The characters deserve better than that.

Think of this: more time was spent on Nikki and Paulo's deaths than Sun and Jin's.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
NathanielStarr
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Have you all read this article? [COLOR=#2276bb]http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/04/ff_lost/all/1[/COLOR] This is why I didn't care for this episode. In this article tptb say that the audience are like 3 year olds where if you answer a question they keep asking you why so all you can do is point to something like Chuck E Cheese to distract them. Them killing off main characters was the Chuck E Cheese moment. It will get those of us that are easily distracted to stop talking about the inconsistencies in the few answers they gave us like Christian Shephard.

Give it a read. If you are down on this season and think it's going no where the writers pretty much validate your feelings.

Last edited by NathanielStarr; 05-05-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:36 AM   #9
Haggis
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I agree with you, Baileysdad. Sun and Jin = fail. Smocke using guns instead of his black smoke persona = fail. Kate & Claire = fail. Epic fail all around, I'd say.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:38 AM   #10
bla bla bla
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Train wreck