The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 6 > Across The Sea
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Across The Sea Air Date: 05/11/2010 60 minutes EP: 615
Written by Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof
Directed by Tucker Gates

Old 05-13-2010, 05:41 AM   #1
Darkleton
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Jacobs brothers name is....

...unimportant.

Think about it. People want the name of his brother, the child born just after Jacob. The very same person who about 30 years later died. So it doesn't matter if they named him Locke, Walt, Aaron or Vincent (), the fact is that person is dead.
What people want is the name of the smoke monster itself.

This is my theory:
The smoke monster (separate entity to Jacobs brother) is like a car (sorry, can't think of a better analogy). Sitting in the light it is powerful yet useless without someone to control it....a driver if you will.
When Jacobs brother floats into the light, the smoke monster consumes his energy/life/soul/whatever and discards his body. That soul is now the "driver" of the car.
Now in the same way that a guy called Geoff owns a car, the car isn't called Geoff, it is Geoffs car. If Jacobs brother were called Tom, it wouldn't mean the smoke monster is called Tom, rather it would be Toms smoke monster. So his brother is controlling it, but they are two separate things.
When the monster talks about wanting to leave the island, again, if someone were inside a car and talked to you, it isn't the car talking to you, it's the person inside it.
Perhaps all the people it has consumed (Yemi, Christian, Locke) are other "passengers" in the vehicle/weapon and occasionally we hear their voices coming through as well as Jacobs brother (Locke and his don't tell me what I can't do).

To me this can end in a few ways:
1) The monster is somehow destroyed and all "occupants" are set free.
2) The "driver" is destroyed and another person takes control of the monster - Perhaps this is what Widmore wants...to destroy the current driver to take control of the monster himself
3) Jacobs brother gets what he wants, he leaves the island, perhaps still as the smoke monster, and setting in motion the island sinking that we saw in LA EX

I know this still has plot holes and discrepancies but lets face it, even the answer we get in the finale won't be watertight and will still have something for someone to pick at.

Let's be honest, if his brother were given the name Fred in the episode, immediately people would be on wikipedia looking for a link from Fred to an ancient Egyptian god or did Fred do anything in the bible. Perhaps TPTB thought that as the name isn't actually important, don't give him one as it will only be researched to shreds for no reason.
It might also explain why Richard only said "it's you" (or words to that effect) on seeing the monster as Locke. The monster doesn't have a name and that is what he was referring to, not Locke or Jacobs brother or anyone else.

My pennys worth anyway

One other thing, Jacob didn't kill his brother. More likely he was knocked unconscious when thrown to the ground and the water took him into the light where the monster killed him.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
sh4dy15
Coach

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Jacobs brothers name is....

I actually started a similar thread and have seen a few others do the same. I completely agree and dont feel that the SMoke Monster began when Jacobs brother went down that whole, he was just given a body.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #3
wanders01
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

I too think the smoke monster already existed when MiB went down the rabbit hole. I think the smoke monster killed the "others". I remember Danielle saying that it was sort of a security system. I think when MiB fell down the hole that the smoke monster was not allowed to let him die and did the only thing it could by incorporating MiB into itself.

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST ~ J. R. R. TOLKEIN

Steeler Nation Member........rev'in' for seven.

When life hands you a goat make fudge
League of NATIONS member #19 and won't eat ostrich or squirrel
Myha member #22 Official Troll Basher
Proud posesser of Night Voices book of poems
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #4
E Lillyputian
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

It's not so much that the actual name of MIB is so important. It's the fact that the writers continue to play mind games with us by refusing to disclose it. This attitude, an arrogant and self absorbed one in my opinion, is what has guided Season 6 and made it so painful to watch.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Tsolmai
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Lillyputian View Post
It's not so much that the actual name of MIB is so important. It's the fact that the writers continue to play mind games with us by refusing to disclose it. This attitude, an arrogant and self absorbed one in my opinion, is what has guided Season 6 and made it so painful to watch.
I fail to see how it is arrogance to allow the WRITERS to tell the STORY the way they wish to do so. When I read a book and have to wait to the end to see what happens, I don't think that is the author's arrogance. That's just how storytelling works.

If you truly feel this way, then please, turn off the TV and quit watching. There, problem solved.

As for me, I love LOST and I have loved this season as much as all the others, and I can't wait to see how it all ends. Then again, I am one of the few who loved how King ended the Dark Tower series, and I loved the boldness of the Sopranos ending, so I could be in the minority here LOL.

Last edited by Tsolmai; 05-13-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 05-13-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Fierro
It only ends once...
First Class
...and this is it.

Additional Info
Stats

this could be the best explanation IF Smokie and Nameless are NOT the same thing... We still don't know that, though....
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
wanders01
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro View Post
this could be the best explanation IF Smokie and Nameless are NOT the same thing... We still don't know that, though....

We may never know. I refuse to give up hope til the last moment.

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST ~ J. R. R. TOLKEIN

Steeler Nation Member........rev'in' for seven.

When life hands you a goat make fudge
League of NATIONS member #19 and won't eat ostrich or squirrel
Myha member #22 Official Troll Basher
Proud posesser of Night Voices book of poems
Old 05-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
rabidranger
Upper Deck

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fierro View Post
The biggest clue is the destruction of the village. There is no way that one or two people could have done that on their own. To me, that indicates that Smokey existed and functioned prior to the MIB being pushed down the stream into the "light." A fate worse than death seems to be the "theft" of one's being (appearance, voice, memories, etc) to be used by what in the end is "evil incarnate." In other words, the MIB became another in a long line of people that Smokey could use after death.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
FlocknessMonster
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Something like this could be very possible... Maybe that will be Locke's reward in the end; He will become the smoke monster, and stay on the island willingly and protect it. They always said the monster was the islands security system. But the current security guard wants to clock out and go home...
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
rgreen517
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanders01 View Post
We may never know. I refuse to give up hope til the last moment.
Don't worry, on May 23rd after the finale, you can just give up the rest of your hope at that point. I am really disappointed with where the show has gone. It feels like they are just digging a ditch effort to keep it alive for a couple more shows. Are we even going to find out why the ALT universe, etc.