The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 6 > The End (part 1 and 2)
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

The End (part 1 and 2) Air Date: 05/23/2010 150 minutes Ep 617 and 618
Written by Carlton Cuse, Damon Lindelof
Directed by Jack Bender

Old 05-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #1
Pink Human
Premium Economy
Zoloft and Prozac--Thanks to Sawyers Mojito

Additional Info
Stats
Because the show was probably always about Purgatory

This is just my best guess, but if I were a betting kinda girl, I say that TPTB may have originally intended to write a show about redemption through works and make the Island be a stand-in for Purgatory. But early on during season 1, too many people figured it out, and their desire to keep their concept a secret caused them to alter their story. The Island as a stand-in for the concept of Purgatory would explain all the weirdness, but once they didn't want people to know that the show was about that, they probably had to just accept that they wouldn't ever explain the Island. Or the weirdness. But then to bring the show to a close, they returned to their original concept of Purgatory and made the Flash Sideways be the standin for that concept.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:40 AM   #2
Lost_in_1972
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Because the show was probably always about Purgatory

I though about this, they probably were not expecting the fan base, they masked and diverted the people. Although I don like the term purgatory, more like a limbo, a period in waiting.

Each flash sideways is how the character felt about their life, how they saw their lives
Sahid felt he was still a a bad person hence he became a fugitive eventually
Same with kate, she was still a fugitive

Jin and Sun WANTED a life where they were parents

Some died in distress like Charlie thus his wasted life.

Claire chose to have the baby.

James wanted to be a good person in his heart but still could not leave the Sawyer part out of his life.

Juliette wanted to deliver the babies she could not in the real life

Lock - I'm trying to figure out why he was living like that.

What do you think?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
beema
First Class
I'm a complex guy, sweetheart!

Additional Info
Stats

I wouldn't be surprised if you're 100% correct.
They will never admit to it though. Egos are too massive.

Homer: I'm confused -- is this a sad ending or a happy ending?
Marge: It's an ending... that's enough.

I WANT SOME FRIGGIN' ANSWERS!
aka
My Big List of Unanswered LOST Mysteries & Questions

Updated: 05/22/10

Take a trip... there's acid in my fridge.
DOLT # 232 / Juliet #54 / Suliet #99 / MGFan #2 / RR #48
Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
Pink Human
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

I think watching LOST again, I'd have to assume I'm watching Purgatory and that they are all dead. Then I could watch the series through and the Sideways is the final holding tank for them before "moving on" and all the Island stuff makes sense.

The Smoke monster doesn't really need to be undestood as anything other than a means to an end--a way to get the "dead" to work through issues. That we find out about the Jacob and MiB doesn't matter since Jacob is in Purgatory, too, and his way of working out his guilt for killing his brother is to try to help others learn--that he somehow creates a sort of Purgatory.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
macainickle
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

It's okay if the show and the island were ultimately purgatory but I don't like that since season one they have denied it was purgatory,when what I saw tonight was infact the island as a form of purgatory.I was disappointed with that.I'd have perfered them to just say the audience was right and move on and maybe come up with a better ending.

Macainickle
Old 05-24-2010, 03:33 AM   #6
(4.8.15.16.23.42)
Premium Economy
BLTs Taste So Darn Good

Additional Info
Stats

This was my "A-HA!" moment a few minutes after the finale ended. I think you hit it spot on. If everyone figured out the Island in Season 1, they obviously weren't going to admit it. And I agree they never will. But to me it is obvious that this was the case.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:39 AM   #7
quizzical
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_in_1972 View Post
Lock - I'm trying to figure out why he was living like that.

What do you think?
His anger at his father is what drove Helen away during his life. So in his afterlife, he was crippled by his guilt. He still built himself an ideal world where he had a good relationship with his dad, and he listened to Helen, and put away his anger. Thus, he would have been able to marry her.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:44 AM   #8
bumpygrimes
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Human View Post
This is just my best guess, but if I were a betting kinda girl, I say that TPTB may have originally intended to write a show about redemption through works and make the Island be a stand-in for Purgatory. But early on during season 1, too many people figured it out, and their desire to keep their concept a secret caused them to alter their story. The Island as a stand-in for the concept of Purgatory would explain all the weirdness, but once they didn't want people to know that the show was about that, they probably had to just accept that they wouldn't ever explain the Island. Or the weirdness. But then to bring the show to a close, they returned to their original concept of Purgatory and made the Flash Sideways be the standin for that concept.
This is the first Lost theory I've ever read that I think has a 100 percent chance of being true.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #9
Pink Human
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

The show actually makes sense (if the idea of Purgatory CAN make sense) if the Island=Purgatory. If everyone died in the crash, the flashforwards are just the characters way of trying to avoid the work necessary to "move on" or actually trying to do that work (think Jack v Hugo) and the flashbacks are them remembering why they ended up in Purgatory in the first place (and giving the audience a way to understand why the characters are in Purgatory, too). The sideways are just the holding tank for the last part of the journey, and since they all died together, they wait for one another.

Now the order in which the characters leave Purgatory is problematic since Hugo stays almost as long as Sayid. Exactly how much stuff did Hugo have to work out? And Libby leaves after Shannon? It won't make sense unless I say that the choices for "when" were much more random based on actors' schedules.

And Juliette didn't die in the crash. Nor did Desmond. So if the Island is a Purgatory-like place, I'm going to have to ponder why they end up interacting with the Oceanic 815ers. If the Purgatory place is not limited to time or space, then Juliette's monkeying around with fertililty and Desmond's actions in the army bought them lots of time. And if Purgatory allows the rules to be such that those already there can interact with "new arrivals" if that's how they work out their redemption, then that might make sense. But both of those characters were added after season 1, so the writers may not have ever intended for them to have a nice fit.

Any other character whose presence in Purgatory would need to be "fit" into the framework?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpygrimes View Post
This is the first Lost theory I've ever read that I think has a 100 percent chance of being true.
Wow, that would be a first for me.

Last edited by Pink Human; 05-24-2010 at 03:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
Steve L
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

Thats exactly what i think, it would explain all the islands weirdness. Also everyone seemed to die on the island just after they resolved some issue and so were ready to move on.

I think it would have been better to carry on and ignore the people that had figured it out.