The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Ask the Staff > Got Questions for the Lost VIPs? > Past Members of the Lost Creative Team > For Raggs
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

For Raggs For Matt Raggs. Writer’s Assistant.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:05 AM   #1
Passport
No. 1 Libby Fan!
On The Tarmac
Beauty Lost But Not Forgotten...

Additional Info
Stats
Thumbs up The Character of Claire.

Hello Mr Raggs,

Happy new year,

I would first like to say how amazing the reintroduction of LOST after the festive period was, even if I have more firmly cemented views on the character of Mr Eko. I really enjoyed the episode regardless of my negativity towards this character and can’t wait for the escalation of the Charlie and Claire storyline.
Claire is my favourite character on LOST because she brings a brightness to the show that none of the other characters do and I hope beyond hope that nothing bad happens to her. Ever since “Raised by Another” and that scene in the lawyer’s office, (the one where the numerous pens won’t work and she says “I can’t do this”), she has really touched me. I can’t wait for more of her story to be revealed especially; as I am sure it will be, if it is as moving as “Raised by Another”.
Another character who really makes the show for me is Danielle, I find her as a tragically flawed character even if her kidnapping of Aaron had a different ending. We found out in the season finale that Danielle had been involved in a fight with Claire, and Claire had subsequently scratched Danielle. I was wondering if we will be getting any more information on this plot angle this season?
Another question that I’ve always wanted to ask a writer is: what was your favourite scene in the first season and why?

Thank you very much for reading this,
Matt
Old 01-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
Raggs
VIP

Additional Info
VIP
Stats
Re: The Character of Claire.

Hi Matt,

You may rest assured that you will be learning more about Claire, her baby, AND Danielle in the coming weeks. And although I can't guarantee that nothing bad will happen to any of them - - without real jeopardy, there are no stakes in this story - - and the chance that people we care about will come to harm, well... isn't that why we all keep watching in the first place?

I wrote the next Claire episode (along with Dawn Kelly) and I know I can speak for both of us when I say that we hope you enjoy it.

Thank you for your astute observations and your appreciation of our show. We all appreciate it enormously.

Cheers,

Raggs
Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 PM   #3
Passport
No. 1 Libby Fan!
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Thank you very much for your response, it really has me on tenterhooks now for this upcoming episode. Its one of those catch 22 situations where I want to know what is going to happen with Claire and Danielle, right now but I also want to be surprised – its frustrating.
I also wanted to say that I loved the Ana Lucia scene from the “23rd Psalm” it was really touching, this may be probing a bit too far into the future but could you give any indication of when Ana Lucia will take centre stage again? I unlike many people around here enjoyed her fresh style to leadership and unlike Jack; she seems competent but isolated in the role of leader. I had the feeling she was trying really hard to keep everyone safe but in so doing pushed everyone away. Michelle really is excellent as Ana and I hope we see more of her in the future.
On reflection I seem like a closet feminist, (barring Kate and Boone) my real concern is for the excellently written female cast of LOST.
Thanks again,
Matt
Old 01-17-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Raggs
VIP

Additional Info
VIP
Stats

Matt, my friend, if anyone can appreciate your affection for the women of this show it's me. Believe me!

In response to your question of Ana Lucia occupying center stage again, there are a great many characters to be serviced, as you well know. But, at the very least I can promise you she will be moving closer to the center in the not too distant future.

Raggs
Old 01-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #5
Passport
No. 1 Libby Fan!
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Thank you very much for your response, Mr Raggs.
I have to admit that “What Kate Did” felt very anti-climatic when the beautifully tense ending of “Collision” wasn’t continued in that episode. I just loved the whole Tail End story arc, along with the Shannon episode, “Abandoned” was utterly moving, I was surprised nothing in my house drowned in tears. It was so powerful. Also tonight’s episode of LOST looks very good, I am really excited.
Libby is also a very intriguing character, the mystery of this season of LOST, Cynthia is great at playing her. I would very much like to see a Libby flashback but am not expecting one this season. I have found the Ana Lucia/Eko/Libby style a very refreshing change from Jack/Kate.
Also if Kate was being chased by US Marshals would Ana Lucia not recognise this notorious villain? Or is that too important to any upcoming plot. If so I am sorry for the question.

Thanks again,
Matt
Old 01-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Raggs
VIP

Additional Info
VIP
Stats

You will get your Libby episode. This season.

Hope that makes you happy...

Raggs
Old 01-18-2006, 02:32 PM   #7
Passport
No. 1 Libby Fan!
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Thank you so VERY much for all your information, I wouldn’t like you to get into trouble for any of it. I am so looking forward to “Maternity Leave”, I also hope that this is the first of many LOST episodes in your career. I think writing scripts would be a dream job with a massive sense of satisfaction at the end of it, is there any tips you could give for people wanting to write?
Claire, Libby, Danielle and Ana – now all I have to work on is getting all the episodes now.

Thank you very much,
Matt
Old 01-18-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
Raggs
VIP

Additional Info
VIP
Stats

Pleasure.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
Passport
No. 1 Libby Fan!
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Thanks Mr Raggs for taking the time to read the multiple responses and questions I have posed in this thread.
When you said that Ana would be moving back towards the centre, I thought, “oh it’ll take a while,” but then with last night’s cliffhanger I had to physically raise my jaw. For a character like Jack, who I’m not particularly fond of, I was pensive about this episode, but it was flawless. Another excellent episode in an excellent series – this episode was very special for very different reasons. This episode brought out my empathy for the show’s male characters.
When writing flashbacks for a character, is there a specific formula you use when planning them out? I am trying to write a script and would appreciate the pointers.
Thank you so very much.
Matt
Old 01-19-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
Raggs
VIP

Additional Info
VIP
Stats

Hey Matt,

Thanks for the compliments on the show, I enjoyed it as well. In terms of how we write flashbacks, we proceed the same way we do when writing anything else -- by asking ourselves, what do we want to learn about this character in order to make their story more complicated and interesting. It's not an easy question to answer and we spend a great deal of time and effort trying to answer it the best way we possibly can. But if you are sitting down to write something (and good for you if you are) ask yourself that question as often as you can. And don't be afraid to make a mistake, okay? Nobody gets it right the first time. Believe me...

All the best,

Raggs