The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams


Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > Stranger In A Strange Land
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Stranger In A Strange Land Air Date: 2/21/2007 60 minutes EP: 309
Written by Elizabeth Sarnoff & Christina Kim
Directed by Paris Barclay


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #71
LovesLaboursLost
Economy

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: October 28, 2006
Stats
Posts: 433
Re: Why did they beat up Jack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbackfan View Post
Well only time will tell whether there's a spirtual/supernatural edge to the tat. I hope it will anyway!
I suspect that "he walks among us but he is not one of us" marks Jack as, in some sense, an alien, and a dangerous one at that. All the Thai that saw the tatoo would want to run away, or force Jack to run away.


Quote:
Originally Posted by snakey View Post
He didnt force her to do it, she did it when he asked. So did she feel compelled to do it?
Yes, because she was in love with him.
He insisted on getting the tatoo, despite her reluctance, because she told him that he would be a great leader, and he mistakenly assumed that the tatoo would say "Great Leader" or something. Instead it says "He walks among us but is not one of us" which might mean something like "Get the hell away from this guy, if you know what's good for you!"

Last edited by LovesLaboursLost; 02-23-2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
LovesLaboursLost is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #72
Jadenlea
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: April 1, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

She should have tattooed him with Yosemite Sam.

I disagree STRONGLY that jack forced her. For one thing, she had a gift to see who a person really is. She probably knew jack even better then he knew himself. She knew he could never hurt her. And she knew his frustration came from his need for validation. I think she did it because she saw how badly he wanted it and because she cared about him, she couldnt deny him.

What I DONT understand and what is starting to drive me crazy about this show (that I used to love) is why does noone ever communicate or ask any questions?? When she said "There will be consequences" why on earth wouldnt he say "Oh really? what kind?" Or why didnt she say "Jack you dont understand. If I do this, you will be beat up, possibly murdered and I might be also" Same with screaming at Cyndi to go away rather then quietly and logically question her. But thats another string.
Jadenlea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:04 PM   #73
ToutureMeSy
Coach

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: April 6, 2006
Location: Lost Angeles
Stats
Posts: 141
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post
She should have tattooed him with Yosemite Sam.

I disagree STRONGLY that jack forced her. For one thing, she had a gift to see who a person really is. She probably knew jack even better then he knew himself. She knew he could never hurt her. And she knew his frustration came from his need for validation. I think she did it because she saw how badly he wanted it and because she cared about him, she couldnt deny him.

What I DONT understand and what is starting to drive me crazy about this show (that I used to love) is why does noone ever communicate or ask any questions?? When she said "There will be consequences" why on earth wouldnt he say "Oh really? what kind?" Or why didnt she say "Jack you dont understand. If I do this, you will be beat up, possibly murdered and I might be also" Same with screaming at Cyndi to go away rather then quietly and logically question her. But thats another string.
I agree 100%-her character during the other scenes (beach, restaurant) was strong and in control, why would she suddenly be terrified of dorky old Jack??
ToutureMeSy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:56 PM   #74
marksman
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: November 17, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post
I disagree STRONGLY that jack forced her. For one thing, she had a gift to see who a person really is. She probably knew jack even better then he knew himself. She knew he could never hurt her.
I think at that moment in his life, he could hurt her. Remember, thsi is when his marriage has just fallen apart. He has just destroyed his father's otherwise distinguished career. He has been stalking this woman. He pushes her against the wall.

Quote:
I think she did it because she saw how badly he wanted it and because she cared about him, she couldnt deny him.
Then why didn't the tattoo say what she told him? We know what the tatto says and it isn't "A great leader". It says "He walks among us but isn't one of us," which in context means "Interloper!"

No, to me, it was clear that when Jack demanded she tattoo him, he was out of control and she knew it. He demanded she do something forbidden by her religion, so she deceived him and branded him an outsider.
marksman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #75
Jadenlea
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: April 1, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

Come on!!! She bearly or is it barely? Even tried to refuse him. One weak "It is against my culture" and a "There will be consequences jack. Also when she does it, she doesn't look resentful or angry. She just looks sad. Maybe she did it not because she was forced or even for love but because she understood when he followed her there that she was destined to do it. Maybe she realized once he came to her that way that it was her path in life to mark him for all the things that were going to come later... or even...

............ Maybe she was sent to him to mark him by the others as Ethan was sent to juliet. Who knows. The only thing I am sure of is that she didn't do it because she was afraid of jack.
Jadenlea is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #76
fran6
Baggage

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: April 1, 2006
Stats
Posts: 35
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

I'm appalled to see so many people think Jack being beaten doesn't make sense.
An american drunk stalker , menaces and forces a young girl to do something that is against her principles and traditions! No wonder he had to face the consequences. The real question is :why would Jack do that?
I get the stalking, after all, he already followed his ex-wife and his father, what I don't understand is why he wanted this tattoo so much.He is supposed to be the man of science, the skeptic, in opposition to the men of faith. He doesn't believe in magic, "gifts" and stuff.

I guess he didn't like to just walk among them but not being one of them, that made him angry and consequently, lonely!.(wink-wink)
fran6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #77
lostgurl
Heading to the island in
On The Tarmac
We have to go back!
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: December 1, 2005
Location: Haunted Damn Jungle, Michigan
Stats
Posts: 0
Images: 71
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

Ok, there is no way that Jack would have hurt her on purpose, thats totally ridiculous. She started being all evasive when he tried to find out what the heck she was talking about. She wasn't telling him everything and it was obvious that she knew something. After spending a month with her, why couldn't she just tell him straight out?
lostgurl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #78
marksman
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: November 17, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fran6 View Post
I'm appalled to see so many people think Jack being beaten doesn't make sense.
Agree!

Quote:
what I don't understand is why he wanted this tattoo so much.He is supposed to be the man of science, the skeptic, in opposition to the men of faith.
At this specific point in his life, when Jack as at his nadir, his convictions are shaken. Which isn't to say he believes in magic. In my opinion, he had himself tattooed as a form of flagellation. He wanted to punish himself, for stalking his dad, wife and Achera. Because he thinks he is a bad person. He was asking to be hurt. And he got what he asked for. He got hsi punishment, so he was now ready to go home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostgurl View Post
Ok, there is no way that Jack would have hurt her on purpose, thats totally ridiculous.
I found it totally believable. People are not one-sided. In the wrong situation, people can be driven to do things they wouldn't normally do. The Jack on the island is in a much different place than the Jack in Phuket. Jack in Phuket is depressed, he is lonely, he is self-loathing. Jack on the island has regained confidence, is a leader, a healer and a conscisnce. People have journeys. So does Jack.

Quote:
After spending a month with her, why couldn't she just tell him straight out?
She has sex with him and ocassionally dinner. They're f---buddies, not friends.
marksman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #79
TK 421
Economy
Not at my post
 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: February 15, 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC, CAN
Stats
Posts: 463
Gaming
Click Here
Re: Why did jack get beat Up?

When I was 18 I went to Thailand with my Dad while he was doing an extended surveying contract for the Thai government. He emphaticly told me how generous, hospitible and kind the Thai people are. But very clearly he told me "There's 2 things you should never make fun of or insult in Thailand unless you want to get beaten up or put in jail, and thats insulting the King or the Bhuddist religion."

I was there 2 times for 4 months each time and had the opportunity to visit many villages off the beaten track. I was treated to the most amazingly warm hospitality while I was there, they took me into their homes, tried to teach me their language, gave me herbal remedies when my stomach rebelled against their food, even took me to thier temples to experience some of their religious ceremonies. While I'm not a religious person I could feel the sacredness in those temples and the Thai people's deep religiousness, and felt very out of place but gratefull and respectful. So while I don't quite understand the religious significance of the tattoo, I completely understand how seemingly forcing Achara to do the tattoos would be a major insult or desecration of something deeply spiritual and would warrant the beating Jack got. I actually thought he got off easy, I was shocked and embarrassed actually when he was in her shop treating her that way.

Also, don't mess with the Muay Thai boys!!!! They may be small, but I saw a huge western guy get too drunk and disrespectful at a beach night club and get his jaw broken by a swift gracefull roundhouse kick from a guy smaller than those guys. One blurred motion and the big guy was on his back not knowing what hit him. While I was there I had a great time but I had the sense I was a guest there and that if I showed respect to thier customs I would be okay.

Last edited by TK 421; 02-27-2007 at 10:09 PM.
TK 421 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #80
evanesco75
On The Tarmac

 
Additional Info
Profile
Join Date: November 22, 2005
Stats
Posts: 0
Re: Why did jack get beat up?

I may be wrong, but I got the impression Jack knew exactly what his tattoos said when he spoke to Isabel towards the end. When he told her, 'that's what it says; not what it means', I thought he was referring to the fact that his tattoo had a much deeper meaning than the literal translation. In fact, I thought it was a great comeback to Isabel after her earlier comment of, 'Chinese is a very complex language'. As if Jack was throwing that back in her face by telling her that even if she could read the literal translation, she couldn't decipher the tattoo's TRUE meaning.

And besides, why wouldn't Jack know the meaning himself? We didn't see Achara put the tattoo on him; who's to say she didn't explain what she was writing on his arm? Why should we assume that Jack thought his tattoo simply meant he was a 'leader'?

Far fetched? Would love feedback!
evanesco75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > Stranger In A Strange Land > Why did jack get beat up?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Flicks N Shows:  A posting board to discuss your favorite tv shows, movies, video games, sports, comics, books, music anime and more!!!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Help Support
The Fuselage
by Shopping with Amazon
Search Now:

Lost: The Complete Collection
On DVD and Blu-ray

Lost: The Complete Sixth and Final Season
On DVD and Blu-ray

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
The Fuselage

Page generated in 0.55442 seconds with 11 queries [Server Loads: 0.06 0.01 : 0.00]