The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Lost Episodes > Lost Season 3 > One of Us
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

One of Us Air Date: 4/11/2007 60 minutes EP: 316
Written by Carlton Cuse & Drew Goddard
Directed by Jack Bender

Old 04-16-2007, 07:19 PM   #21
BoulderGeek
Still waiting for complimentary snack
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Stephen King's "The Langoliers"

Interesting thread.

I, too, thought of "The Jaunt" (though the title was obscured behind way too many pints of ale and glasses of cabernet in the intervening 20 years since I read it) as Juliet emerged from her slumber en route to the island.

Good catches, all.

I had read everything Mr. King had done up through "IT," which was to have been his retirement swan song. Not to be confused with "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon, a post-Apocalyptic read not unlike "The Stand."

So, I have never read Dark Tower or other King works past circa 1987. But, I did read the Bachman Books and The Stand many times. Unfortunately, teleplays of King's works have all been awful. "It" was terrible (IMHO). "The Stand" was a disgrace. 'The Running Man' anyone?

So far, 'Lost' has been much more watchable than any King video adaptation I have seen. May it long continue (and quickly resolve Season 1 questions).
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM   #22
pascalephoto
Premium Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Here is something else from Stephen King that I found. Was the principal in Carrie named Henry Grayle? I don't know if he owned a hot air balloon or not. Could someone confirm this for me. The name, not the balloon. It has been a long time since I have read Carrie and my memory is not as good as it used to be.

I was a big Stephen King fan as well. He was best when he wrote shorter more concise stories and novels (The Stand being an exception). I got really turned off by It. Too many flashbacks and too much character developments. I feel that Lost is starting to go down that path this season. But that's just me.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:08 AM   #23
linerk
Wandering aimlessly in
On The Tarmac
Avi by Sawyers Mojito

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Dark Tower and other Stephen King similarities were picked up by viewers here at the Fuselage way back in season 1. Heck, here is an old Langoliers thread from two years ago!
Langoliers thread.
Yep and if you look at the old Dark Tower thread or was it the Stand, I am in there somewhere. The problem is no one is discussing those anymore - I went on a search...so I was glad to see a new thread. I never tire of discussing King parallels.

For a while I thought Stephen King had just sold out because his novels were getting worse and worse. Nothing could live up to Cujo, The Stand, Carrie, It, Salem's Lot etc, etc. However I then got hooked on the Dark Tower series and then learned about all the ties to most of his books from other books and I realized what a genius the man is. Anyway enough of my ranting.

I loved The Mist - also loved The Raft...which reminds me of a certain smoky type creature we know. Surprised no one has made that connection.

The Running Man was a great story but totally ruined by the movie...eeeesh. I mean I enjoy the movie as something totally different but definitely not Stephen King's. The real story should have been done more Blade Runner style.

As for the Dark Tower going movie/TV - I am excited but worried. It's so difficult to do with books like these. But if they can do what Peter Jackson did with LOTR then I will be happy.

Ok but I digress - back to Lost - I just think it's fun to find the similarities and it makes me think of new things they could be doing and different directions they could go with Lost. So maybe there are new connections that no one has thought of yet??

Quote:
Here is something else from Stephen King that I found. Was the principal in Carrie named Henry Grayle?
Holy crap - you're right - thanks google - looked it up and that is in fact the principal's name. Cool...I mean I got the reference to the wizard of oz but the fact that they were reading Carrie...cool

Last edited by linerk; 04-17-2007 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #24
Music805
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

I still hold my original thinking that the final sequence of scenes of LOST will be of Stephen King typing "THE END" into his computer, hitting Ctrl+S, and looking up to Tabitha says "My final book is done!". Flash to a manuscript on his desk that has the title "LOST" by Stephen King.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:16 AM   #25
raks
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music805 View Post
I still hold my original thinking that the final sequence of scenes of LOST will be of Stephen King typing "THE END" into his computer, hitting Ctrl+S, and looking up to Tabitha says "My final book is done!". Flash to a manuscript on his desk that has the title "LOST" by Stephen King.
I have been a fuselage lurker for ages, i dont post often because by the time i think of anything to say its already posted, but i had to post and say OMG i love this theroy

I am a huge Stephen King fan and i have sat here reading this thread just nodding my head and thinking duh, why didnt i realise any of that, and being amazed at the connections. I have to say i struggled with reading the Dark Tower series but it was quite a few years ago and i am thinking i might have to give them a second look. The Stand was my favourite book ever and i have read it many times, although again not for some years.

Great work and thanks for doing all the hard thinking for me and letting me read and enjoy all the connections.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:32 AM   #26
TheBeastIsMe
The surgical masks are delicious in
On The Tarmac
Zeke, we hardly knew ye...

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerk View Post
I loved The Mist - also loved The Raft...which reminds me of a certain smoky type creature we know. Surprised no one has made that connection.

The Raft occurred (dweeb alert!) on the same level of the Tower as The Stand (it mentions Capt. Tripps, if I'm not mistaken), and that oil slick on the water certainly does seem like smokey...a seemingly inanimate object with a (newfound?) sentience, able to "reach out and touch some one."

On another Tower note, everything King wrote is tied into this main story, much like the Losties' flashbacks all tie into each others'.

Also, wasn't the research facility in The Mist named "Arrowhead Military Base/Project?" Much like Danielle's arrow started the ball rolling up to now by finding a home in Ben's shoulder and getting him back to the Swan, the Arrowhead Project caused so much trouble for the folks in The Mist.

Let's not forget Night Shift (the short story) about hidden tunnels underground housing unspeakable horrors! Pure speculation on my part right now though...
Old 04-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
GodBlessTexas
The Third Policeman
Economy

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by linerk View Post
That's an amazing link, I couldn't have put it better...so many parallels. Obviously you can't compare any one character with any one character on lost but the themes are there and are obvious to King fans.

The big one for me was
Spoiler:
In the Dark Tower the "bad guys" recruit children who have special powers - telekinesis and use them to break the strands holding the worlds together. They call them the Breakers...this ties in to the Black House as well. If they succeed at this no one knows exactly what will happen but I believe the basic idea was all worlds will be destroyed. That has a huge parallel with Lost as we saw with Walt and possibly the other children. The other huge parallel is a special child - the one that Susannah eventually gives birth to. The child is far too complex to go into here but is very important to the story and this part I can't remember totally - I think Susannah becomes pregnant but it's not Eddie's (she has only slept with Eddie) some kind of divine conception happens here.
Your spoiler is wrong on a couple of points.
Spoiler:
The Low Men don't recruit kids, they recruit adults with special abilities. They tell them one thing and then take them to another location; the land of Fedic, where they do their breaking of the Tower Beams.
Does that sound like what happened to Juliet?

As for the children,
Spoiler:
the Low Men abduct the children from Calla Bryn Sturgis. In the Calla, the children are almost always born in twin pairs, and the Bad Men send their Wolves (Doombots if you read Marvel Comics) to take one of each twin pair. Singles are left alone. After a few months of being away, the children are then returned "roont" (ruined)--mentally handicapped and destined to grow to enormous size and die young. We learn later in the last book that the Low Men were extracting cerebral tissues from the children and feeding them to the Breakers to enhance their psychic abilities.

And finally
Spoiler:
Sussanah Dean had sex with a demon in the book The Wolves of the Callah to keep it busy while Roland did something (I can't remember what now).
Old 04-17-2007, 12:40 PM   #28
misty nichole
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats

. In October 2005, Stephen King signed with Marvel comics to write an expanded edition of his Dark Tower epic. His illustrator for this series is coincidentally named Jae Lee, the name of a flashback character in Lost.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
In Maternity Leave Locke brought Ben a book, and he said "What, no Stephen KIng"
The Gunslinger book by Stephen King was on Ben's table when Locke burst into the room.
__________________________________________________ _________________________
The side of The Balloon has a decal reading Minnesota Metallurgy Mining Co. Under that are the words "Proudly Sponsored By" with decals for Mr. Cluck's Chicken Shack and some sort of cola, possibly Nozz-A-La, a famous fake brand popularized in Stephen King's Dark Tower series and the TV miniseries Kingdom Hospital.
__________________________________________________ _______________________
In The Stand (and other King works), antagonist Randall Flagg is King's personification of the universe's agent of evil. Flagg wears a yellow smile-face button on the right breast of his denim jacket. Benjamin Linus claims to have crashed in a balloon whose canopy sported a big yellow smile-face.
http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Stephen_King
__________________________________________________ ______________________
  • The stations on the Blast Door Map are set up in the same fashion as the beams around the Dark Tower.
  • __________________________________________________ _______________
  • In Stephen KIngs new book....
    On page 4 16 (interesting numbers)of Lisey's Story(released in Fall of 2006), King writes that Scott Landon books were read by people stuck on airplanes between L.A. and Sydney as a reference to Oceanic Airlines.
  • __________________________________________________ ________________
Old 04-17-2007, 12:55 PM   #29
linerk
Wandering aimlessly in
On The Tarmac
Avi by Sawyers Mojito

Additional Info
Stats

Thanks GodBlessTexas, you are right - like I said I forgot a lot of it. I have to reread the books because there is so much info and I'm one of those people that needs to read and reread and then read again.
Spoiler:
I totally forgot about the Demon - I believe Roland was trying to get Jake back or something??

I had a hard time reading the third book with Blaine the first time but after rereading the first two I got right into - it helped to know that there were more after as well.

Quote:
The Raft occurred (dweeb alert!) on the same level of the Tower as The Stand (it mentions Capt. Tripps, if I'm not mistaken), and that oil slick on the water certainly does seem like smokey...a seemingly inanimate object with a (newfound?) sentience, able to "reach out and touch some one."
I didn't realize that first part but I read The Raft before The Stand so I wouldn't have noticed it then.

Quote:
I like this to, that would be cool. I still think that the part in the Dark Tower
Spoiler:
where Roland and Larry discover Stephen King as himself could somehow relate to LOST. Jacob maybe??

misty, nice observations - I hadn't noticed any of those. I forgot about the smiley face button. Well I have a lot of rereading to do - that will keep me busy over the long hiatus
Old 04-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #30
craw_daddy
Oh no, I'm not in
Coach

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music805 View Post
Quite some time ago I posted a similar "ending" to the series except mine had Sai King turning to his wife as he finished up his work and say something like:

"Nah, it wasn't very good. I can already hear the critics and fans tearing it apart.What's for supper?"

Quote:
Wow, it's probably been more than 20 years since I read The Raft and probably just as long since I saw the dramatization of it in Creepshow. Was there really a reference to Captain Tripps in it? I don't remember. (Oh well, I guess getting old still beats the alternative.)