The Fuselage

The Fuselage.com: The Official Site of the Creative Team Behind ABC's Award Winning TV Show "LOST"
Sponsored by J.J. Abrams

Go Back   The Fuselage > Speculation > Lost General Theories
Flicks N Shows Arcade Tags Social Groups

Lost General Theories Theories based on things that HAVE happened on the actual eps of Lost. No spoiler info is to be posted here.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
UnderAlienControl
"Well 20 minutes is a long time" in
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here
Open Your Eyes People

7-09-07: ADDED MORE IMAGES TO THE THREAD WITH OUTLINES--POST#86

DISCLAIMER FOR THE MODERATORS: After discussing the thread with MODERATOR DIABOLO237 (A Prince Among Darkness!) who condemned it to Hell, but then returned it back to the living (why do I suddenly feel like Spawn?) I need to state that I do have over-arching theories on this topic on the whole of LOST, not just for the episode "The Man Behind The Curtain", that I will be publishing. I just wanted to get the discussion off the ground first, with the post/links etc., and this was just the episode these particular images were spotted in, but not the only episodes we will be discussing.

I would also like to see this thread become an overall discussion of all hidden images in Lost, and hopefully as a companion to the Whispers thread (as I think they really could be related-the start of my theory!). (<>..<>)

I originally posted this topic Let Me Shoo The Flies Off You...SNOOZERS! under the episode thread for "The Man Behind The Curtain", but since I first posted this on the day of the new show "Greatest Hits", it really only had a short life on the board, but still generated about 3500 views and over 60 responses in that time, so if you want to check that thread first, that's cool as it was a "heat of the moment WTF is that?" kinda thread and contains the first original responses and is the genesis of this thread. Now, since everybody moves on to the "Greatest Hits" and beyond to stay current, as I would myself, we've moved it over here.

I think this is both an Easter Egg wink at us and a genuine theory so I'm going to try to start a discussion here, if for nothing else so that more people will have access to the images who otherwise would have missed them. Pythagoras99 helped me out alot with a great screencap. As far as I know, (and I checked alot of forums), I'm the only one who's seen it and posted on it, so if it pans out to something, well Big Ups to The Dude I suppose...

Ok, so is it really possible that I was the only one who saw the giant green skull/face in the jungle foliage during "The Man Behind The Curtain"? Either way, if this pans out, I'm lookin' for a LOST Eagle Eye Merit Badge out of it. If it doesn't, then I'm swearing off those Apollo Bars, with their creamy pschotropic nougat, like, forever man. Ok, ya ready?

The scene is: When Ben's dad is drunk and forgets his birthday, Ben runs out of the house, through some thick jungle, and emerges in a clearing in front of the sonic fence. Watch closely as he runs out of the jungle and the scene cuts to the clearing. As Ben bursts into the clearing, in the foliage behind Ben, is a giant skull/face head, and another chiseled looking skull on the right end of the foliage (not visible due to darkness). The middle skull is practically flourescent, since it is well-lit and brighter green/white than the rest of the foliage in the scene, and seemed to have a somewhat 3-D! look to it. You can't miss it! It was darker in the clearing during the scene in the show, which made it stand out like it was radioactive, saying "look at me look at me" and I had no problem spotting it in real time while re-watching the episode. That's right, I wasn't even slo-mo looking for anything, just re-watching this episode when I caught it.

And you wanna know something really eerie? It looks like the head is slightly turned to follow Ben with it's eyes as he runs by it. Just like the chiseled looking skull on the right end is facing the way that he came from, like their watching him coming and going. It also looks like the skulls have snakey bodies behind them, sort of like the head is at the end of a stalk type body. Similiar to the body of the "water probe" in the movie "The Abyss"-like the heads are snaking out of the foliage at the end of these "bodies".

So when Pythagoras posted the screen cap zoomed in, cropped and lightened up some, lo and behold the second chiseled looking skull on the right end is easily visible now, so we know we are on the right track in our search. And once you start examining the screencap there are like, 10 images in it I think. Of course with this being the Wizard of Oz episode, I figure they wanted to send us on a little trip of our own, and gave us something cool to discover, you know-something "Behind The Curtain" (the curtain being the darkness). Kinda fits with the theme of the episode.

Anyway, check out the 2 skulls in the screencap and look around in it to see what else you can pick out, and then after you digest it a little bit, I'll be back to explain more theory-wise in greater detail, and about how I think this relates to a big mystery of the whole of Lost...yummyyyy Dharma Beerrrrr... Namaste (<>..<>)

Last edited by UnderAlienControl; 02-03-2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Drunk on Dharma Trippy Hippy Beer.....
Old 05-17-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
AZJeepDude
Watching Battlestar Galactica in
On The Tarmac
Maybe you'd like a chart to keep it all straight.

Additional Info
Stats
Re: Open Your Eyes People

Please consider posting a link to the screen cap in this thread. Also consider a link to an animated gif of the sequence -- or maybe upload the material to youtube...
Old 05-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
UnderAlienControl
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

Hopefully as we find more images in more of the episodes, we can add them to the thread.

Here is Pythagoras screen cap and it is the one we are working off of since it is most excellent. This is how it looks when it is lightened up, as it was too dark in the show to see any of this except the glowing face/skull.

Think about the line in The Whispers about "If we go over there we might be able to see it, but I don't know"...Are these whispers others on the outside who aren't as immersed into the scene (the skull people), sort of in the background?. Doesn't this line kind of sound like what somebody who was in a crowd at some gathering (car wreck/concert whatever) might say to move around the crowd and get a better view of what's going on?, It being the event at the fence between Ben and his mom or is Ben the it? Curiouser and curiouser...(<>..<>)

demondog.jpg

HERE ARE "THE WHISPERS" FROM THE SCENE:
Center (these are the hardest to hear...very faint)
full scene audio
1. Talk to him
2. Tell him that you're his mother
3. Tell him to be patient
4. That'll just make it worse
{Ben: Mom?}
{Mom Vision: Ben Don't!}
{Ben: Mom...}
Mom Vision: { It's not time yet, Benjamin.}

Front Right
full scene audio
1. What's happening
2. If we can go over there we might be able to see it, but I don't know
3. help us come through the fence
4. we're sending one, don't argue

Front Left
full scene audio
1. (..tell you) I'm glad you decided to see me/ to send me/to send him
2. Because I love him
3. That's right, that's what I mean/That's right, that's what I need
4. ____
5. Don't worry about it
6. You're the one ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUOTE FROM PYTHAGORAS:For those who still don't believe it's intentional, here's a much better view. (This basically emphasizes the red and blue channels so that the only green stuff that shows up well is green stuff that is either reflecting light off a shiny surface or has been artificially lightened...)
demondog2.jpg
It looks like the one on the left, at least, is a complete face rather than a skull.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK back to me now: This is how it appeared in the episode:
http://gallery.lost-media.com/displa...-1287-306.html

This is what caught my eye, and this is how it looked when I saw it in real-time while re-watching the episode. Like I said, it's so lit up behind him as opposed to everything else in the scene, as to be practically flourescent, so if you were watching closely it would stand out, and it did to me.

See, once you look "BEHIND THE CURTAIN" (of darkness), and lighten the screencap, you see alot more hidden images in the foliage. TPTB aren't going to give you anything but a clue, so you gotta dig in and FIND the rest. Without that screencap there's no way I could have found the rest of the things in the image, except for the glowing skull/face, as they are purposely hidden in the darkness, even the chiseled skull on the right end. I also think this is not just a wink at us/easter egg but also something integral to the series. Namaste (<>..<>)

Last edited by UnderAlienControl; 02-03-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Because I'm UnderAlienControl...
Old 05-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
Dapper Swindler
Baggage

Additional Info
Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderAlienControl View Post
YOU CAN'T MISS IT!
Yet the other 20 million people who saw this episode obviously did miss it. Your link is broken. Show me a screencap and we'll talk.

Last edited by Dapper Swindler; 05-17-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: mistake quoting
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #5
UnderAlienControl
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

Dapper, oh yea of little faith tsk tsk...20 million people huh? Maybe I'm special then, like Walt Don't worry, the evidence is looking good on this one bro... (<>..<>)

Now, after slowly letting the Apollo bar melt in my mouth by first microwaving it slightly, and beer bonging down two Dharma Trippin' Hippy beers, I am ready to reveal what I think they did with this image and why. If it is what I think it is, it's really a double-gag, and I'll try to explain it.

I think most of the major characters from OZ are in the foliage, as well as a few more things, and I think it's a wink from the producers to us about "The Man Behind The Curtain". For people who are able to clearly see the skulls we are talking about, this is for you. If you can't see the skulls to start with, well then you're probably a man of science while I am a man of faith, because I can see it. I've also tried to illustrate how the "skulls" seem to have a body attached to them which makes it appear that they are "snaking" out of the foliage. I was imaging them at 200% when I outlined them so you should probably do the same to see the detail:
PLEASE SEE POST #86 FOR IMAGES..... (<>..<>)

Last edited by UnderAlienControl; 02-03-2010 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Smokey ate the original........
Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
diabolo237
MiniMod from HELL
On The Tarmac
Entitled to my own opinion since 1983

Additional Info
Staff
Stats

This isnt a theory, its an observation in the episode, The Man Behind The Curtain, so the discussion belongs there. Thanks

Reopening to give the OP the opportunity to present the theory that goes along with his findings...

*Sarcasm Shipper #13* *N.E.R.D. #41* *BOB #48*
Migrate to HATE #13
*THE PROJECT~Head of Project Public Relations*
Updated to Episode 8!
CROP CIRCLES: BECAUSE SOMETIMES CORN JUST NEEDS TO LAY THE HECK DOWN!!

Last edited by diabolo237; 05-17-2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
UnderAlienControl
Premium Economy
Cosmic Banditos

Additional Info
Stats
Gaming
Click Here

Thanks Diabolo237 Oh Prince Among Darkness, I appreciate the reprieve (it was really really hot and dark where you sent my thread to-it's nice that it can see the light of day again). Now back to work:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"QUOTE FROM CROTCHETYPAPA: Oh man, just looked again and there are MANY faces in that shot! This has happened before in Season 1 - White Rabbit - a tree morphed into a rabbit right before our eyes. It was a shot of Jack's dad standing in the foliage after Jack walks by two of the losties arguing over water. The tree is bright green and you have to look at in slo-mo to see it. But it's there! I am going to be paying more attention to the foliage when I rewatch all the episodes this summer."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have seen the morphing rabbit of which you speak and will post a screencap of it in POST #86 (<>..<>)

Last edited by UnderAlienControl; 07-09-2007 at 06:08 PM. Reason: My Apollo Bar Got In Your Dharma Peanut Butter...
Old 05-17-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
MarineOne
Snipin' away from
On The Tarmac

Additional Info
Stats

Whoops

Last edited by MarineOne; 05-17-2007 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Had originally posted that the first link was broke... but then it was fixed when this thread refreshed.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:28 AM   #9
lostmio
Queen of the Trajectorial Metaphor
Business Class

Additional Info
Stats

It's indisputable that we've seen strange skull-like faces in foliage and rocks since S1. I missed the rabbit tree, but I believe it appeared.

I agree that the ones mentioned in this thread are there. And some not mentioned.

They're as real - and as ambiguous - as the whispers.
I don't know what they mean. Maybe they're just to amp up the mystery and spooky factor, or maybe they're major clues, who knows?
I'm not much interested in either the images or the whispers for now. But certainly they keep cropping up.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #10
SpiderFace
Spiderfacin' it Spiderface style in
Coach
camptown races sing this song do dah do dah

Additional Info
Stats

wow I totally missed that skull! It looks great in the lostmedia real image from the show, without even any lightening! I'll have to watch this again right now!

Ok, I just watched it in super-slow motion a couple times, it kinda looks like it does turn it's head to follow Ben. Nice catch!